11 Oct Committee Meeting Minutes Oct 2018
14 committee meeting Thursday October 4th at Andy FitzGerald’s
Present: Chair AF, Sailing Sec Harvey Hillary, Treasurer Andy Penman and social/media Sec by Luke Boughton( by SKYpe)
Apologies : Andy Shaw , Caroline Gosford , Hugh Mclean , Edward FitzGerald, Charlie Duchesne , Mark Tait, Rich Dobson
New Committee member
- We welcomed Andy Shaw in his absence and thanked him for volunteering.
- Does Rob Struckett his crew want to join too?
- We congratulated Charlie Duchesne on his appointment as World secretary and welcome his attendance at any UK 14 committee meeting
- Harvey Hillary also agreed to be vice Chairman as per the class constitution.
- AGM at ISC on 3rd Nov at 5.00
- We have to get the information out by 21 days prior to the Nov 3rd
- In the absence of Caroline AF will do
- Email was claimed to be sufficient
- Officers all stand for re-election except Caroline who will help to introduce the new online system
- Vacancy for Class Secretary
- Vacancy for Editor of Gossip
- Vacancy for Classic co-ordinator
- Prize giving at AGM at Itchenor – Are there any prizes to hand out? Action ?
- Last years Mins Action CG
- Treasure’s report Action AP
- Those present all agreed to stand again. AF to check with those not present.
- Too late to do constitution changes for AGM , CG has document but needs to go to Notty
- The committee ran through the proposed changes at our Itchenor meeting.
- Discussions over voting – polls or Ballots what was the definitions of them ( could be added as a foot note.
- Updated Mailing list still outstanding , Action CG
- AF reported there is no trigger to update one’s address, email etc with 14 records
- Caroline unfortunately has not been well and no report from out last meeting at Itchenor
Class online subs project
- Following a brief issued to Rich D he has made good progress and is testing a system called Webcollect which has an annual charge of £120 . We await Rich further work on the details.
- Rich has submitted his project plan – Poseidon and awaits answers on a number of points from the committee.
- Step 2 is other class management opportunities using the platform
- Step 3 in this process is online management of class measurement certificates
Dinghy Exhibition March 2-3rd – Written submission by Andy Shaw
- Hugh Maclean had delegated our newest committee member Andy Shaw who has things well in hand. De facto the class seems keen to go despite possible falling attendance.
- A call for a London 14 party to follow on the Sat night. Action LB
- Luke B said he would do the Manning Rota
- Which boats ?– It was hoped Chris T would have a new boat on his stand
- 14’s stand had room for 2 – another new B6Mk2, Andy P to be asked and one other ?
- Stand is stored at Colins and is fit for purpose.
- Last year DM made a stand to sit the boat on – do we need this again? Will it fit another design.
- Rolling VR sports video can be used on live link . Process to be conformed – LB
- Our stand is next to Spinlock our key sponsor.
- New Poster was agreed as Ed and Neale pic ( as per front cover of Itchenor club mag) . Class to approach Spinlock to sponsor it ? Typical value is £500. Action ??
- Boat for sales listing also required – Action LB
POW 2019 , 26-30th August– Harvey reported
- Harvey and Andy P reported on their visit to the RCYC at Falmouth
- RCYC have agreed to do it and now passes it over to their organising company.
- They will sign up to our regatta contract
- Fees max to be £275 , cost of the dinghy park was the problem as HM wanted £2500
- Regatta chairman ex 14 Neil Andrews
- OK for arrival by Saturday , practice race ?
- Measurement proposal,( not discussed) – Action MT
- Pow dinner on the Friday at the club in the marque
- Dinghy park self-contained with changing rooms at the Falmouth Watersports club
- Deal done with the tea hut for post-race refreshment
- AF reminded everyone of the RCYC int 14 trophy awarded for all races over the event, no discard.
- NOR and SI will be a while yet – Action HH
- POW on the Wednesday, 2 race Friday finish at 4pm
- New idea’s were discussed
- Tracking system – HH to review
- Long distance race – second race of the day , not part of the series
- Sponsoring support
- Peter Crockford has apparently offered for beers one evening
- Headline sponsor £1,000 all will offset the cost or enable more to be done
- VR sports video, we had an approach but HH thought there was an alternative. HH to review
- Concerns over Safety cover . AF’s Rib offered!
- Professional photography support? Not discussed.
- Should be able to make a formal announcement soon without waiting for final price/NoR
Calender 2019 – Harvey reported
- POW 2020 Proposed Tynemouth with Howard Stevenson as Race officer. This was supported as an old 14 centre.
- AF circulated Ed Fitz Itchenor program, Harvey to integrate with UK Calender
- Draft to go onto website ASAP.
- Keen to have a Tynemouth opening meeting
- HH has an offer from Torbole to hold a summer Europeans in 2020
- Longer term UK offer for the worlds was debated. Suggestion we run it from Lake Garda , Torbole. Other venues suggested were Itchenor, Slovenia. A joint Hayling Itchenor was discussed but it would be a split fleet.
- The Century cup lives on and was a much requested event for next year – Action Phil Mcd. Harvey to contact for a proposed date. Action HH
New Boat progress – Andy F reported
- Ovington Boat B6 mk2 is progressing to be built at Weymouth by Chris and Sam Pascoe
- One boat is available soon as Chris is sticking it together
- Price and deliver details still awaited. Subject to price 3 firm orders and 2 maybes
Other membership and boat news
- The committed noted Liam Stackpole is building a new boat in Falmouth
- Due to the excitement generated by San Fran there has been a lot of boat interest
- New members at Itchenor with Ian Lodder and Williamson forming a new team having moved on from the RS 800
- IF we do a Tymemouth POW there was talk of other new boats from the northern fleet.
World report – AF
- UK fleet had been asked to put up a trophy for a worlds race
- Measurement issue with Jibs . Action Mark Tait
- New Secretary – Charlie Duchane
- AF had previously circulated the world Meetings mins
- Regatta was a great success if a bit windy for all the fleet, a point noted by the World chairman
- VR sports have done a great job and the Video and prompt race result and professional photography have given a real lift to the class. Can we do anything more to keep momentum?
- A general discussion on our equivalent of the Hall of Fame to keep old 14 sailors connected to the class
- Peter Conway is oldest sailor at 84? sailing int 14 sailor at Lymington . We should make a fuss about him. Write an article ….Action ??
- As per the schedule pre-circulated.
- AGM November at ISC Firecracker Nov 3rd at 5.00